Sunday, October 24, 2010

"The Giver"


"The Giver" by Lois Lowry

I was pleasantly surprised by this novel. Unlike most people, I had never read this book before so I did not know what to expect. I sat down to read the first couple chapters and I found that the book was hard to put down. I was captivated by the live that Jonas was explaining. Those who live in a civilization such as the one we find ourself living in, could not even imagine what living in this particular culture per say would be like. A culture that sees in black and white, where all children have the same birthday celebrated by a special ceremony and after the ceremony of twelve age is simply forgotten. Each ceremony is similar to our cultures birthday parties, each child receives a "gift" or a new priviledge in society. For example, nines get their bicycles which is their equivalent of a car and as you progress through your years you get a new jacket or get to take down the braids in your hair. In our society, when children turn 16 they may receive their drivers license which will most likely lead to a car and at each birthday celebration children receive various gifts such as bikes or clothes. In their society you are not to ask questions or to be rude. Apologies are scripted and spoke with no meaning, and apologies are expected to be accepted immediately. This is something that does not occur often in our society. It is okay for you to be mad at someone and to sometimes not accept their apologies. 


One thing that surprised me was that people did not see in color. I did not understand the scene with Jonas and Asher playing with the apple. I didn't understand this concept until later in the book. I also think that Jonas's placement was more of a punishment instead of an honor. The elders make it seem like such an amazing and important job when in reality it is an extreme burden. Jonas begins to feel things that no one else in the society can feel, he knows pain and love and killing. This is a lot for a young boy to feel and he has no one to talk to besides the giver. He begins to be unable to relate to his peers and family because he sees what life could be like when it is filled with love, family and genuine happiness and freedom. This brings me to another point in this book that shocked me. I could not imagine a life without love. While Jonas's parents admit to enjoying his presence, there is no love shown between parents and parents and children. Also, the fact that there were no extended families. No aunts, uncles, cousins or grandparents to share memories with. All throughout the book I was skeptical about the release process, so it was not surprising when my thoughts were varified. 


The concept of "sameness" is something that this society highly values. The population not being able to see colors allows this concept to take flight. There are some things that even black and white can't hide. Jonas has light eyes, which is something that is never spoken of but it is a difference that can be seen with their vision. 
Lois Lowry

I was also very disappointed with the ending of this book. I am someone who likes a clear cut ending, whether it be happy or sad. I choose to believe that Jonas and Gabe live to find a society that is similar to ours. I believe that everything Jonas did was for what he believed was right and that he did find happier days. Overall, this is an amazing book and hopefully one that I will get an opportunity to use in my classroom. 

1 comment:

  1. I totally relate to this post- I didn't know they saw in black and white until about halfway through the book! i also hated the ending too, but my interpretation of it was that he didn't die :)

    ReplyDelete